Monday, March 3, 2014

An Addendum to the Mommy Weekend....

     After I wrote the post yesterday about Carson and the weekend, he started running fever. It was 99.something but he was developing a pretty nasty cough. So, I decided to run him into the Dr. They did a strep test, which is horrid, and a flu test which is worse. Any of you mom's who have had to deal with those test know exactly what I mean. He did as well as a 4... year old would do. We made it past those and I was holding and trying to comfort my son the whole time. His fever at this point was at 101. I hadn't been able to give him anything for his fever because he still had eaten nothing. Both of the those test came back negative and the Dr felt it necessary to do a blood draw. He had never had his blood drawn before. It was not fun, for me or him. Now, keep in mind that I had to bring my daughter with me because my mom and sister we in church and my husband is still out of town so I'm on my own with my 2 children. CC is sitting in the chair holding her hands over hear ears so she doesn't have to listen to Carson screaming and the other one being held down by a papoose board and getting his blood drawn. After all of that had subsided, I picked up my son and just held him. He kept begging to go home so I told them to call me with the results.
 
     By that time, his fever was at 102. When I went to walk out of the clinic, it was pouring down rain so I held Carson with our umbrella and CC had her umbrella and the leap pads. By the time we got to the car, we were soaked and so was the inside of the car. We got loaded in the car and headed home. Once we got home, I got the kids in front of movie and made some lunch for them. Then I got the call with the results of the blood test and he has every mothers worst nightmare... A viral infection. Yes he does. More than likely, caused by the stomach bug. So it can't be treated with anything. I finally got him to eat something so I could give him some meds for his fever. It went down and we started improving a little.
 
     Everyone slept through the night but this morning, his cough is much worse and he can't breathe at all. Still, the blood results don't lie. It is viral. So, we are here, still trying to get some food down my son so I can' treat him with over the counter meds. After all of this, I find myself confused about what my next course of action is and yet, still totally at peace. This motherhood job seems to have very high highs and very low lows. The hard times seem to be really hard and yet, here are so many other moms who have it so much more difficult than I do.
 
     My children are here, in my home, we have fire in the fireplace, my son will be fine in just a couple of days. We will be way over this by next week. It seems in every difficult situation, there is always something to be thankful for. I am thankful that I am a mother and have children to care for. I am thankful that the biggest health issues I have with my kids are the occasional sinus infection and the few and far between stomach bugs. No one every promised that motherhood would be easy but one thing I can say... it is worth it. So, to all the moms out there defeated, alone and confused... you are victorious, you are apart of an elite group and you have the mind of Christ.
 
We can do this!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for your perseverance. Grandmother is right, "this to shall pass". I pray the little man is better and the big man will be home soon. Hold out for a day of the family well and laughing together!!

    ReplyDelete

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)