Wednesday, April 10, 2013

See you on the other side?

     So, here is the update. The last time I talked to you, I had been a Vegan for one year and had decided to add fish and some chicken into my diet. Well, here is how that has been going:
     NOT GREAT! Man! This journey has taught me so very much about myself as a person. Whereas I can say I am not a shadow of the person I once was, I still have so far to go. Once I decided to start adding in fish and chicken, for some reason, I started taking bites of every other kind of meat I found in my path. Now, I haven't had a burger or steak but I did cook ground beef for my husband and I haven't cooked ground beef in a year. When I was draining it, I found myself taking bites of it. For some reason, these things became " an option" for me. I have no idea why! So, what is the lastest lesson I have learned from this journey? That I must have clearly defined lines for my eating habits. I am an extremely disciplined person. Once I make up my mind to do something, I do it. With All My Heart! I'm all in. When left to myself, I don't make good, healthy choices.

     In addition to adding some meat, I have also been counting calories with my doctors supervision, to lower my cholesterol. He feels that if I get some weight off, my cholesterol will come down. Whereas I did have to be put on a pill to assist in this, it is still my goal to get off of it once I get it under control with my diet. I believe that the right foods can heal the body. I am striving to find this balance. I have not stepped on the scale and I don't want to. I am disappointed every single time I step on the scale so I have made a commitment to stay off of it until my follow up Dr appointment in a few weeks. I have raised my calorie intake, stepped up my exercise, added some fish and little chicken to my diet and been faithful with my vitamins. I am praying that I will be rewarded with a good report on the scale. If I may back track just a moment, I am doing an amazing job at exercising! Walking, Pilates, Zumba, Kettle Bell, weights, I'm doing it all! Even though I still have areas where I struggle, I am proud to say that I have gotten this one down!

     Another lesson that is one I, apparently, must continue to be taught. I AM ALLERGIC TO DAIRY!!! Why can't I get that in my head? For the love!!! I was sick for years of my life with chronic sinus issues. Then, I got off dairy and BAM! Gone! Just like that. I had some pasta in a cream sauce in February and just like that, I got sick. Back on medication! Then, 2 weeks ago, we had a shower for a girl in our family and my mom made this amazing spaghetti casserole but alas, it was covered in cheese... I lost ALL control, which is why I'm in this whole situation in the first place, and ate 2 pieces! Not only did I blow past my calorie count for the day, I consumed close to a half of cup of cheddar cheese. So, as I sit on my couch writing this blog, I am on steroids, antibiotics, Chloraseptic and everything that brand makes, Mucinex, I've made my way through a roll of toilet paper and have supported the Vicks Vapor company in numerous way! Not my finest moment. I just wonder how many more times I'm going to have to learn this lesson. In fact, I told a friend of mine that I was sick and the first thing she asked me, "Did you have dairy?". If my friends have learned this lesson, surely I can get it.

     I know I'm not the only one that has to learn hard lessons over and over. What lesson does life keep teaching you? How long will it take for us both to learn it? Eating habits, financial difficulties, family problems, controlling the tongue issues, what is it? Just like consuming dairy costs me a Dr visit, money for meds and several nights of no rest, all of these other things may be costing you. I promise to count the cost this time and learn this lesson. At some point, I just can't keep going around and around this same mountain. As soon as I have one mountain in my rearview, it seems like I get stuck going in a circle around another. I guess I will just have to find the straight path out of here. I want to see what is past these mountains! Will it be health for my whole life? Will it be the weight I'm meant to be at? Will it be no cholesterol pill? I'm not sure? I don't know what is actually on the other side of these mountains, but give me a little bit longer, and I will be able to tell you.

See you on the other side?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)