Friday, March 22, 2013

Mile Marker #1! One Year Vegan!

     Well! This is it! ONE YEAR VEGAN!!! I did it. This is the blog I have been waiting to write. This night, one year ago, I watched a documentary called  Forks Over Knives and the next morning, I woke up with a resolve to be different and... I was. For the first time in my life I made up my mind to do something about my health and I did. Although, my lack of weight loss and the ultimate decision to take a cholesterol pill has been a huge devastation to me, I feel as though I am hard enough on my self the majority of the time and tonight, I choose to focus on my accomplishments.
    
    I am so proud of myself and I reserve the right to be so! Many people might think this year has been difficult but in all actuality, it hasn't. Once I made up my mind to do it, I did. The first 6 weeks were hard because I didn't know what I was doing and I wasn't educated but the more I learned the easier it became.

I have learned so many things this past year:
  • I learned that I can do anything I make up my mind to do.
  • I learned that I don't need anyone else to do what I'm doing for me to be successful at it.
  • I learned that I am allergic to Dairy! (Big One)
  • I learned that it doesn't matter how many disappointments I may have along any journey I take, I have the drive to continue.
The biggest lesson of all?
     I learned that health is not a goal, it's a journey. Achieving health can't ever be something I finish doing. It's not the tape at a finish line that I run though and then quit and go home. Health is lifetime of Mile Markers. One good decision after another. One day, one week, one month, one year, one mile marker at a time.

     So, where does this Mile Marker leave me? I made a commitment to be off dairy and meat for one year. I did that. Now, I feel like I have a grasp on what is healthy and what is not and what my body can tolerate and what it can't. I am going to continue to stay off of dairy and red meat. Like I said, I have learned that I have an allergy to dairy (chronic sinus issues) and I have been diagnosed it with high cholesterol (red meat). No matter how many times the Dr tells me it's genetic, I will not own that diagnosis. I don't accept it and I will continue to fight it until I see the day when I am able to be taken off that cholesterol pill.
     I will be adding some fish and deer meat to my diet. Not on a regular basis but it will be added. I might also add in some grilled chicken on a very limited basis. I don't think that chicken has the health benefits that fish does and I actually enjoy my chicken alternatives very much. I am happy with these choices and I feel as though I can maintain my healthy living with an 80/20 Vegan Lifestyle.
     I also have a renewed vision for weight loss. This renewal started about 6 weeks ago and has continued since then. Let me be honest here, if I may. I understand that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and I am not discussing my self worth or self esteem. I feel like, in my case, the high cholesterol might be linked to the extra pounds I am carrying around. This is the reason for the desire to loose weight. It is not my goal to be a size zero nor is that something I am striving to reach. Once again, health is my goal. If my health goals had all been reached changing my diet and not loosing a pound, there is a possibility I would be just find where I am. The goals were not reached, therefore, further action is required of me.
    
     I want to live every single day of my life to the fullest. I want to be around for my children, grandchildren and great children. I want to be able to travel with my husband when we are retired. I don't want the last years of my life to be dreadful and long for everyone who is around me because of my lifetime of bad choices. I love my children more than that. I love my husband more than that. I am worth more than that.

     Thank you to all of those who have encouraged me throughout this year. Thank you for reading my blogs and staying updated on this journey. I assure you, there will be many more posts to read from here on out.

     So, it is with a sense of accomplishment and a smile on my face that I briefly wave good bye to this last amazing year and as I pass Mile Marker #1, I turn my focus to reaching Mile Marker #2... Who's With Me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm encouraged by reading your blogs.

    Especially this one!

    We had a couple hours of nutrition lectures this week and your decisions with adding in stuff like salmon and some chicken is spot on what they said about being healthy.

    I love reading this because it shows the other side of health - where people take responsibility for their health and don't solely depend on a drug.

    And I'm glad that you know that Cholesterol is almost never 100% genetic (And those cases I would imagine are pretty severe).

    Way to go! Keep it up!

    Also we had our first pediatrics lecture recently... Turns out after 5 years of camp I still don't really know how to talk to small children... who knew? haha

    ReplyDelete

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)