Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Mothers Weekend

     Wednesday morning at 3:34, my daughter woke up with a fever. I don't like waking up with children with fever in the middle of the night. There is only so much I can do for them at that time of night and it breaks my heart that I am unable to do more. I am a fixer of things also. One of the hardest parts about fever is that often times, in the middle of the night, I don't know the reason for it, therefore, am unable to treat it. So, I put her in my bed, gave her Motrin and prayed... Morning came and we had both gone back to sleep and she woke up fever free. So, confused as can be, I sent her to school. I told her teacher that if she complained of anything at all to give me a call.

     You see, we had a girls weekend planned. My Mim, Mom, Sister and both of our girls. We rented a cabin in Branson. We had planned to be there when they light the tree in Silver Dollar City for the first time. I have been so excited about this weekend. It was very important to me that she be well.

     So, around noon, I was sitting at birthday lunch with some friends. Soon after I ordered my food, my phone rang. It was Mrs. Crystal. Campbell's teacher. Sure enough, she said what i thought she was giong to say. Campbell was running fever. I grabbed my phone and my purse and headed to pick her up. I called our Pediatrician on the way to school and made an appointment. I wanted to get whatever was wrong with her fixed before our trip on Friday. I made it to the doctor's office. Our Pediatrician came in, examined both my kids then told me what she tells me EVERYTIME I take my kids to see her. It's viral and will have to run its course. I explained that we had a family trip planned on Friday and I wanted Campbell to be well. She said, again, it would have to run its course. I told her that I wasn't happy about that diagnosis but ended up thanking her for her time, paying the co-pay and leaving very frusterated. She sinced my diapproval and told me to call her on Friday morning if CC didn't improve in time for our trip.

     I will spare you the details but just know, she never did stop running fever. Every 3 hours for the past 3 nights I have been up giving my child Tylenol and Motrin. Here is the situation: I know my child. Like most mothers do. I went to the doctor's office because she was sick. She needed antibiotics. I don't go to the doctor's because I have nothing else to do. I needed help. I went in PLENTY of time to get her well before our trip on Friday. But no. I did call the doctor back on Friday when CC didn't improve and I was transfered to a nurse who, after asking me 15 min of questions, told me that I needed to be seen again! There are no words to explain my frusteration at this point!!!!

     We had to cancel the trip so I can stay with Campbell while the viral infection "runs its course". At 3:00 on Saturday morning, I take Campbell's temperature and she is running 102. It is safe to say that I WAS RIGHT!!!!! She needed antibiotics. If I had phone number for that doctor, I would have been calling her! I was so angry that I almost didn't go back to sleep. I know that it is a waste of energey to be angry but that is what I was. Flat Out Angry. I knew that Campbell was sick and I knew that she needed help.

     Our quick care clinic opened at 9:00 and I was there. The doctor listened to her and gave me her diagnosis. Upper respiratory infection and a right ear infection. Yes. She was sick. More importantly... she gave me antibiotics to give my child!!! I was soooooo angry! If the doctor that I had taken her to 4 days ago would have treated her, we would be watching the Christmas tree in Silver Dollar City light up right now.

     As it stands now, my daughter has had 2 doses of her antibiotics and she is fever free. We should sleep tonight through the night for the first time in 4 nights. And I can say, without question, I will have a new pediatrician by noon on Monday.

     I am so thankful that my daughter is getting well. She should be at school on Monday after missing 2 1/2 days last week. I am so thankful for the nice mother I met in the quick care clinic this morning that gave me the name and number of her Pediatrician. I am thankful that this weekend is almost over.

     More importantly, through my anger... my intense anger, I am a better mother than I was this time last week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)