Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pippy Longstocking and Family Memories

Tonight, we had our annual Fall Fest at our church. A tradition that has been in place since I was a child. I have vivid memories of my mom and dad dressing up with us on this night several years ago.  I have a memory of going to Fall Fest as Pippy Longstocking (dating myself here). My dad put a coat hanger through my braided hair and made my pigtails stand straight out on either side of my head. I do not have a picture of this anywhere, to my knowledge, however, I have the memory and for the purpose of this blog, that is all I need.
 
I personally, as an adult, do not care much for Fall Fest. When I was single, it was more enjoyable because the only person I had to consider was myself. However, I am no longer single and have a family of 4 that I have to plan for. What are WE going to wear? Where am I going to get OUR costumes? All the questions that go with motherhood! So tonight, Mike and I divided and conquered.
 
He and Carson went as Lumberjacks.
And they are the cutest lumberjacks I have ever seen! I put my mascara on Carson's face so it looked like a beard. He was so proud that he looked like his daddy.( Like he needed a beard to accomplish that). Mike is not particularly into the dressing up for Fall Fest either however, tonight he outdid himself. He gave it all he had. He came up with the rope belt and the idea to tie the axe on their jeans. He picked out his own shirt from Goodwill and found his bright orange CAT hat (Thanks Uncle Sean) to match Carson. He was a good dad tonight!
 
When it came to Campbell... she didn't want to be Lumberjacks! Shockers. She wanted to be Repunzel. The first hurdle was the hair! What was I going to do for her long hair. Campbell sometimes walks around our house holding a jump rope her to head and lets it drag the ground like she has long hair. So I had to do something! I was walking through Hobby Lobby (the store that the Lord created) and saw a sewing kit for a Repunzel costume. I am TERRIBLE with my sewing machine! So making an outfit wasn't even an option. She would NOT have looked like Repunzel after I did damage to that beautiful material! However, on the package, it had a picture of Repunzel hair made with yarn! Now yarn I can do!
With her hair figured out, we now had the task of deciding what I would be. Obviously I wanted to match her because Mike and Carson were matching so it only made sense. I asked her what she thought I should be. She replied, "Mommy, you could be Mother Gothel". I told her I didn't want to be the bad villan who turns old rapidly and dies. She then told me I could be Maximus, the horse. Hummmm. Horse or Mother Gothel? I went for the mother.
There was no costume so I had to make one. We bought me a marroon graduation robe from Goodwill for 4$. I bought material to make the bell sleeves and gold thread to made the belt and piping down the center. After 4 hours with my hot glue gun,  I had created the Mother Gothel Costume! All I needed was the last remaining black wig at Wal Mart and I was set!
 
This is what we ended up looking like!
 
Not too shabby. I was pretty proud of us. As was my daughter. You know, if I hadn't had a daughter, I would never have gone through the trouble of making me a Mother Gothel Costume from scratch. I would have NEVER even been mother Gothel. But a thought occured to me as I was sitting on my floor with hot glue burns all over my hands... what if this is the Fall Fest that is her Pippy Longstocking? What if this is the one she remembers? She may not remember it, but what if she does?
What if she does?
When she is 32 years old and blogging, if she recalls the Fall Fest night that her mom dressed up like Mother Gothel and made her own costume to match her, if she remembers that her mom made her Repunzel hair complete with ribbons and flowers, it will be worth it.
 
I have no idea if that will ever happen or if I will ever know about it. I don't even think my dad knows that I remember the Pippy Longstocking night. But I do. And maybe my sweet girl will remember this one too.
 
As it stands now, I had 2 of the most precious children at Fall Fest tonight!
 
With smiles on their sweet faces, homemade hair wrapped around the floor and a sponge axe we got a Lumberjack show months ago in Pigeon Forge, we made a great showing at Fall Fest tonight!
I may not know if my kids will share in these sweet memories, but one thing I do know, I am enojying every single one of them!
 
I pray that you take the time to make memories. They always outlast photographs.
From our night of family memories to yours...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)