Friday, November 9, 2012

Things only Mother's Understand

     Here is an update...I believe I last left you after my daughter had been diagnosed with an upper respratory infection and an ear infection. Well, after 4 days on antibiotics, she was still no better. Still running a constant fever. So, I took her to, yet another, pediatrician. This one, however, is different. He is the smartest man I've ever seen when it comes to the health of my children. He has always been able to determine exactly what was wrong. I knew he was who I had to see. We located his new clinic and his phone number. They got us in right away. After a brief interegation into the events of the past few days, he ordered a chest X Ray. As soon as the x ray popped up on the screen, he said, without hestitaion, "O, she has pneumonia." And there it was. The correct diagnosis. This extremely brilliant man then went into the details as to why the antibiotics were not working and what we needed to take to get over this.

     After just 1 day on the correct antibiotics and the correct diagnosis, she woke up fever free. She has remained fever free since then. Finally, 2 nights ago, for the first time in a 9 days, we slept. Ahhh sleep! Although she was fever free, I felt it best not to send her to school on Friday so that her immune system would have a chance to rebound. This was a difficult decision. She loves school and I love it when she is at school! Anyway, her absence made it a full week and half that she was out.

     I have often thought of writing a book entitled, "What no one tells you when you're pregnant." Most things that have happened in my life since I have birthed children have been things that no one told me about. O sure, I read books and got advice and listened to countless stories about motherhood but NOTHING can prepare you for it. Motherhood is such an oxymoron. I am so blessed and thankful to have children. I know there are many women who wish they were in my place, with a child to take care of, and I don't take any of it for granted. However, with every passing test I have faced, I have learned that Motherhood is much more difficult that I ever thought.

     For instance, I already told you about my cancelled trip to Branson... but that was last weekend... let's move on to this weekend. Tonight if you will? As I type this, my whole family, including my husband, is up at my parents vacation cabin. They are grilling hamburgers and riding 4 wheelers. Where am I? Getting my kids dinner, cleaning up dinner, getting them a drink, cleaning up the spilled drink, taking Carson to the potty every few minutes and saying no every 5 minutes when my daughter asks if she can spend the night at Nana's house. I'm home. Sitting within the 4 walls of this house. With my children. Just so that her immune system can recover. Motherhood is a blessing but most of the time, it's just not fair. It is true that Motherhood forces unselfishness on you. Now, I will be honest and say, I am not the most gracious of people in circumstances like this. I don't want to be home. I want to be doing something else! ANYTHING ELSE! I have been in this house for 10 days. For me, that is 9 1/2 days too long.

     No one told me that I would have to make sacrifices like this. Do you want to know why? Because I am not the first mother and I won't be the last. Every mother, well, every good one, lives a life of sacrifice for the betterment of her children. Getting Campbell well has stolen my peace, my patience, my sanity, my niceness and my ability to smile...but, I know that what it has stolen from me is going to be worth it. It always is. Every sacrifice that mothers make for their children is worth it.

     My kids don't know the "other things" I could be doing nor do they care. But, it is my prayer, that one day, when Campbell has been trapped in her house for 10 days with a sick child, that her heart will fill with thankfullness for me, just like mine has for my own mom. I am not the first mother to go through difficult times with their kids nor will I be the last. Right now on Facebook, there are 3 moms that I just saw, posting about their sick children. It somehow gives me comfort knowing that I'm not along. Because after you have been in the house so long, away from other humans, it tends to feel like you are.

     Know what I think? Theses difficult times that mothers go through somehow links us together. It makes us part of an elite club. Only mothers understand because only mothers have been there. I know that not every trial I go through with my kids makes me a better mom. Sometimes, the trial is there to prove to myself that I can overcome them. When it's all over, I know what I have done, even if no one elses knows and I am a better person because of it.

     If the truth be told...I am a better person...because of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)