Tuesday, May 29, 2012

On Being Vegan...

     This evening, I had my biggest culinary feat to date....but lets back up a few months...

     10 weeks ago, I made, what I believe to be, a lifesaving decision. I became a Vegan. People who become Vegans do so for a couple different reasons. Some want to make a stand against animal cruelty while others are in it solely for the health benefits. Me? I am in it for health. Back in January, I received a less than thrilling doctors report. The conclusion of which was that I needed to make some lifestyle changes. So that is exactly what I did.
     In addition to not eating animal meat, being Vegan also means that I dont eat dairy of any kind. Well, when I made this switch, I didnt just want to eat differently, I wanted to think differently also. So, I have been snatching up any book I can on the matter. I have always loved cookbooks. I read them like novels and always have. Well, my birthday was yesterday and my husband bought me what I consider to be the best Vegan cookbook yet! Vegan cooking for Carnivores! LOVE!
     I sat on my couch yesterday devouring every recipe like it was cheesecake. Which I found a Vegan recipe for, by the way!  I ran across a recipe for homemade pasta that is made from Tofu... I know that most of you are cringing now and probably telling your computer screen that Tofu is nasty. But one question before you judge. Have you ever had it?
     I am cosistantly amazed at how many things Tofu can be made into. I have used it for mac and cheese, chocolate icing on an avocado chocolate cupcake and now, to make homemade pasta. I have been craving a filled pasta for about a week now. But every filled pastas are usually filled with cheese, which I cant have. So what is a girl to do? Make her own!
     Homemade pasta, made from Tofu, veggie grounds and Tofurky Italian sausage, fresh basil grown in my herb garden, roasted tomatoes and whole garlic cloves, a pinch of sea salt and a dash of pepper all came together to give my taste buds a magical treat! It was spectacular! I made homemade pasta for the first time in my life. I can say with much confidence that i will be making this meal and many variations for years to come.
     Tonight, i had several victories and several strong pushes toward my healthy lifestyle. I ate the most delectable dish i have had to date. My kids ate every bite. And I learned how to make a healthy pasta!
PASTA!!!!! On that note, I have one thing to say...lets be Vegan! I can do this! I will be healthy and live a long healthy life! Observing this past week in my family and the health issues that have been brought the forefront of our lives, I am more motivated than ever to stay on this journey.
     There are times that it isnt easy but that is life. Whereas it may not be easy, it is necessary.
                                                   What is necessary, always wins!

                                     So, here is to healthy, a long life and...well....pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)