Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lets Talk About Tofu...

    It seems as though there are endless food options when one can eat anything. The world, as well as every menu in every restaurant, appears to be bursting at the seems with options of delightful dishes created from the finest trained chefs. The problem with this is that none of these dishes are options for me at this point in my life. So, what does a food lover like me eat? Well, I have set out to answer this exact question.
     I love to cook. I love to learn cooking techniques. I love plating a beautiful dinner, placing it in front of my family and enjoying it as a masterpiece. When I first made the switch to Vegan, I was concerned that. I would not get to explore my love for cooking. I have found in the recent few weeks that is not true. I am changing the way I eat therefore i am changing the way I cook. I am also changing WHAT I eat. Here is where this story really begins...
     Yesterday, I decided to really expand my horizon. I decided to cook and eat blackened tofu. A mistake that I can assure you will never happen again. I have used tofu in a recipe for chocolate icing which turned out beautifully. I have used it in a recipe for mac and cheese. I have used it in pasta. I have never eaten it plain. Just a slab of cooked tofu. I'm sure I did not cook it totally right however, it will be a long time before I ever do that again. It isn't that exactly tasted bad. But I just couldn't get passed the texture. It was very spongy.
    To be quite honest, Im not exactly sure what Tofu is. I mean, what is it called when something can be changed into any texture and take on the flavor of anything? Come to think of it, there are lots of people who are just like a slab of Tofu. They change to match the texture of of those around and take on the flavor of whatever they are being seasoned with. But, when they stand on their own, they are just kind of spongy.

                I have learned that I dont like Tofu. I have learned that I dont want to be Tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)