Thursday, May 10, 2018

Life as I know It

     This has been, without a doubt, the most trying year of my kids health yet! They were sick as infants and toddlers but this... this is unbelievable. For whatever reason, they seem to catch EVERYTHING that passes them by... and just between you and me... I am really frustrated!

    Both of my children missed the very first full week of school in Sept due to an illness. Then it was November, then the last week before Christmas break. Then the first week back after break. Then the week before spring break. During the 6 weeks from Spring Break to the end of school, they have had, between the 2 of them, Strep, Shingles, UTI, Flu, Tonsilitis and the latest... the stomach bug. Sometimes, I stop and look at my life and just squint my eyes in disbelief. My home in sanitized and cleaned weekly. I have changed their toothbrushes after every illness. I wash sheets and towels and wash clothes on a daily basis. They take vitamins every single morning. They eat raw carrots and spinach and drink water! I have done everything I can possibly think of to keep sickness out of my home and away from my children and here we are, the very first day of summer and they are sick. Neither one of them got to finish their last week of school with their friends.

     I know that there are lots of people in this world going through much tougher things than this and I sure don't mean to sound non sympathetic about other people's hurts. On my last trip to the Dr, he tried to encourage me to stay positive and just accept things as they are. In a way, he is correct. Nothing can be done about any of this. They obviously have a some sort of gap in their immune systems but until they grow out of it, here we are.

     So, what do you do when life as you know it is not life as you wish it? The answer? Keep living, for it is the option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)