Sunday, March 3, 2013

"Mommy, I Won"

 Today was an exceptional day. (O yeah, sorry for the long time between blogs. I will catch you up on what's been going on during the last 3 weeks but for now, I have something really amazing to tell you)
Today was an exceptional day. Let's start from the beginning... Last night we had dinner at my parents house and, on occasion, we engage in some sort of conversation. Last night's topic was "Parenting".
It was mentioned that some parents think about what would be fun and end up doing that instead of what would be best for their children. Lots of things are fun, however, some things are more beneficial than others.
Mike has been out of town all weekend so I have been a single parent. I have had some help from babysitters this weekend so it wasn't as taxing as it could have been, however, I have still been the sole parent of these children. So, I woke up this morning looking forward to Sunday afternoon. We were not having lunch at my moms like we normally do because she had prior obligations. So, I was going to come home, get everyone in comfy clothes feed us all lunch, put Carson down for a nap, put CC watching a movie in the guest room and myself, sitting on the couch catching up on reruns of Big Bang Theory. Fun times awaited!
When I got to church, after having quite a trying morning, my dad told me that he was taking my niece and nephew to a horse show and wanted to invite me and my children. Was I interested?
Nope.
I wanted to go home. However, the more I wrestled with my own thoughts, I came to several conclusions: If I were to go home, Campbell would end up watching a movie all day. I would end up getting upset at them at some point for not getting along. The day would end up being forever long.
OR
I could change their clothes, pack a sack lunch, forgo Carson's nap and live with the consequences and be a good Mommy.
Campbell needs to be with her Poppi and cousins. She would benefit more from being outside around horses, learning how to be around them, learning how to interact with them in a show setting, socializing with people, than she would at home watching a movie.
So, when dad stepped off the stage from preaching, I had made my mind up to choose to be a good Mommy and have a much more difficult afternoon for the ultimate benefit of my children. He walked over to me and I said, "We are in." He then told me to get CC in one of her show shirts and he would enter her in the Lead Line Class!
Things were picking up! CC was going to be in her first horse show! WOW! Had I made the right call or what?
So, we did just that. Came home, I threw some sort of cheeze it and koolaid combination in a Wal Mart sack, dressed my daughter in her jeans, belt, cowgirl boots and western shirt and out the door we went!
45 Minutes later, she was atop her horse and being led into the ring by her 7 year old cousin, Olivia. Liv is a child that I thank the Lord for almost every day. She is talented and sweet and she goes above and beyond to help my children. Eli was on his horse being led by Poppi... It was quite a sight!
 
I can't tell express in words how I felt watching her show in her first horse show. It was amazing. I made a call and it was paying off in more ways than I could have ever imagined. There she was, so tiny and beautiful. I couldn't contain my pride!

Olivia did such a good job leading her around that ring. It was one of the most precious things I have ever witnessed... However, it wasn't until she came out of the ring and the judges read the winning name...
5th..... Someone
4th... Someone Else
3rd... Someone Else... Ah O... Seriously! Not even 3rd. Well, at least the experience was good...
2nd...Eli Pate!!! WOW!!!! So Amazing!!!
Long Pause
Longer Pause
1st Place... Campbell McMillan!!!!!!
There is was! Her name being said aloud over the speakers for everyone to hear!
She had Won First Place!
 I started screaming! Shocker...
Dad threw his hands in the air and let out a yell!
Olivia jumped up and down...
Unbelievable! Unbelievable!
 

 
 Most of the time, I won't know if the parenting decisions that I make are the right call until years later when my kids are either a joy or not.
But today, it was an instant return. I was so thankful for the boost. She won First Place in her first horse show! There are simply no words... Although I am trying... I can't find the right ones to describe that feeling.

At the end of the day, Campbell had won a blue, Eli had one a red and Liv... well, Liv is 7 competed in the 18 year old class. She was amazing! So amazing. She competed with kids 4x her age and placed in the top 5 in both classes. Talk about having no words...
 
It would have been easier to stay home, watch TV and relax. Not pack a lunch, not skip Carson's nap, not sit in the freezing cold for 3 hours... Yea. It would have been easier.
 
But then, I would have missed out on hearing.
"Mommy, I Won!"
 
A payment that was well worth the price...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)