Thursday, January 3, 2013

Let's Just Talk About It Then...

     Well, today was "One of Those Days". Not in a bad way, in a Mom way. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? Carson goes to a Mother's Day Out on Tues and Thurs, which he LOVES! They follow the CMA schedule which works well for me. Campbell started school today and I just assumed that Carson would as well. Well, a gut feeling told me that I had better check just to make sure he was still going. I did check and alas, my fears were realized. His school doesn't start until Monday. Awesome. So, I have a son who is ready to go somewhere and see his friends stuck at home with me again, all day... and no Sissy. Well, there is young mother in our church who just had a baby the day after Christmas and she has a son who is Carson's age. So, I got the great idea to invite him over for a few hours today to play with Carson. It worked marvelously! The boys are besties and they play great together! We got out the train sets... ALL of them. We had a concert. We had snacks and Mac and Cheese. Really, it worked so well. Terrific Idea! UNTIL, it was time for Carson to go potty. He pooped in his panties 5 times today. That's right, 5 TIMES! It was so bad that I had to get wash clothes to get him cleaned. He had poop from his ankles to his back every single time, which means, that I had poop from my wrists to my collar bone, every single time.

     I was so mad. Not at him... but at the same time... at him. At myself, at the situation, at the fact that potty training is something that every mother has to do. Just mad... no, angry. Full on angry. Potty training steals my peace. Every single ounce of it. I have come to the realization that I can't do it. It's not that I'm bad at it and can get better, it's that I can not do it. Now, I am mature enough to recognize my strengths a weaknesses. There are lots of things I am good at. A few things I am very good at it... but potty training, not one of the things that I am actual capable of doing. It's frustrating. I just don't understand this at all! He had it. After the first day, he had it. It was going so well. Then a total reversion. Not just a slight backward step... a major about face! So, I after I had to stop making dinner to go wipe up his legs, his rear end, the toilet seat, his potty seat, his hand, his shirts and pants and my self from head to toe, I came to conclusion. I am going to put him in a pull up for the weekend and find my long lost love for my son. I cannot have the stealing my peace. I love my son, I always have. He has been the answer to all of my prayers and that has not changed just because of my inability to potty train his poor soul. Monday brings a new day. We will see what happens then.

   On to child number 1. Over Christmas break I was asking my Dad for some parenting advice with Campbell. She has always been a great child behavior wise. However, her development has been a bit of challenge. Now, don't get me wrong, she is a really smart child, she is doing very well in school but something has always been missing in her communication. So, I was asking my Dad about this and if there was anything that he thought we could do at home to help connect the dots. He promptly said that he thought she was watching too much TV. Ok. Great, that night, we took the TV out of her room and decided to enforce the "No TV on weeknights" rule. This is a rule that my parents enforced on my sister and I during our time in school. It worked well, I must say. We were straight A students, made honor roll, were popular and played sports. So, I thought he was on to something. The reason for TV, however, is that is babysits the kids so I don't have too. I know that sounds bad... horrible, in fact, but the TV is a great entertainer. I am willing to do whatever it takes to see if anything helps our girl. So, there was no cartoons this morning for her to wake up too, not movie after school or before bed... and guess what, she survived! I did too. She played, used her imagination, played with her brother, had a terrific afternoon. It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be.

     There was another issue with her today. She got a colored pulled in school. A color pulled means that she did something bad at school. In her case, she disobeyed her teacher. (I know that her teacher, Mrs. Crystal, reads this blog so let's just go ahead and say a big "Hello" to her)...OK back to it...I support Crystal's decision 100% however, I know that CC was devastated! She cried, she wouldn't play, she took it very hard. She is very tender hearted. Most of the time, I just tell her I'm disappointed in her and she breaks in half and starts crying hysterically. When I picked her up from school today, she climbed into my arms and said, "Mommy, I have something bad to tell you." She then proceeded to tell me the event of the day. Her eyes were red, it was obvious that she had been crying ALL day. My heart was broken. I talked to her about disobedience. We talked about pleasing the Lord. We talked to her dad. We hugged and loved on her. Told her she could start over tomorrow. It was over. She bounced back and is looking forward to a much better day tomorrow.

     Anyway, that is this day. It was a busy parenting day. Good thing I started it off with my time in the word, my hot tea and a Kettle Bell work out... Yes I did! It is always nice to know that you are not the only one going through whatever it is that you are going through. Maybe our days were not exactly alike but everyone of us had our challenges. You aren't along, I'm not alone... to that I say, "Goodnight and thank God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)