Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Vegan Thanksgiving

First of all, allow me to start off by wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving! We had an amazing day, as always!
 
It actually started yesterday when a friend and I began our cooking for Thanksgiving.
 
We made our menu, purchased our groceries and began at 9 in the morning. At 9:30 last night, we finished by taking apart our turkey.
I had such a good helper!
 
We ended up making a Turkey, a pan of green beans, a sweet potatoe cassarole, 7 pies, 3 pumpkin rolls and a pumpkin cheesecake. We were exhausted to say the least. However, it was still amazing. This is the time of year to Thank God for all we have been given and that is what we did!
 
We loaded down the back of my care and got all our food to the church...
Just in time to feed people who didn't have anywhere else to go. It was, as always, an amazing experience. We have been given so much and to spend the morning serving those who haven't got as much, was a perfect way to show the Lord our gratitude for our blessings.
 
 
This is a picture of me spreading out the Vegan Pumpkin roll onto the pan.
Yes! After we made the food for the church, I embarked on making myself a totally Vegan Thanksgiving meal...
 
 
 
Staying Vegan through the Holidays was something that I was worried about from the beginning. It is ALWAYS the holidays that gets everyone. So, I told a friend of mine that I was determined to make it through the day, totally Vegan and NOT being deprived of anything. So, I cooked a "Turkey Breast" in my crock pot with some apple juice and whole cloves. I made mashed potatoes with soy milk and vegan butter. I made mac and cheese, vegan style. I had green beans and cranberry sauce. A side salad that my Aunt brought was the finishing touch. I had a beautiful plate and ate with the rest of my family and was a full and satisfied as I could be at the end of it!
 

When the night was over, I enjoyed my cup of coffe and a slice of delicious Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake! It was an unbelieveable experience today. I was torn for a couple of reasons though: My mom and aunts had been standing in our kitchen for hours cooking. I felt it a little disrespectful to not eat the food they worked so hard to prepare. As I was talking this out with my husband, we decided that getting to March was the goal, then next year, I can make the choices I want to make. I felt better about that. I wanted to prove to myself that this day could be done, and I did!
I am full but not guilty. I consumed a much healthier version of Thanksgiving dinner than most people in America tonight. I ate far less calories than I would have other wise and I feel good about those choices. In the end, I have the feeling I wanted to have at the end of this day.
 
After dinner was over, we all went outside to take a few pics to remember this wonderful day with.
 


 
 
I love this day and everything it embodies. I live and exceptional life and I know that. I have a great home, a wonderful marriage, children that I enjoy and love, a career that I wouldn't trade for anything, a beautiful home that I love being in and a sweet dog that is currently snoring down by my feet.
 
Because I work this weekend, we put up our Christmas decorations this past week. I had mixed feelings about that as well. I didn't like not having up the pilgrims for Thanksgiving, but even as I type this, I am enjoying the Christmas decorations and sitting on the couch with my family, wrapped in a red fuzzy blanket, watching The Grinch.
 
What a day! What a blessing! I started off the day, feeding people who had no food, I enjoyed the middle of the day with family around an amazing dinner table with great food and I'm ending the day with the people I value most!
 
I am thankful for my health...so I ate Vegan.
I am thankful for my family...so I spent the day with them.
I am thankful for my children...so I am sitting on the couch watching a Christmas movie with them.
I am thankful for the Lord...so I spend my life serving Him...
 
May your days be filled with things that you are thankful for!
Happy Thanksgiving and may I be the first to wish you... a very
Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)