Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Challenged for a better day...

     So, today was a much better day! I planned better, ate better, cooked better and as a result, feel better! I believe that any time one begins something new, it takes a while to learn how to make it work for you.

     One of my biggest battles has always been breakfast! I have never liked breakfast. The reason is because I don't like breakfast food. I have never been a fan of eggs. Even before I became a Vegan, I have never liked eggs. I think it has something to do with the texture. I have always thought them to be a little spongy. I don't care for biscuts and jelly. I have never liked sausage. Pancakes are ok but a little sweet for my taste. I prefer savory to sweet any day of the week. Oatmeal is fine but that's really all I can say about it. It's fine. I have never been a cereal person either. Once or twice a month I get a hankering for a bowl of cereal. So, there you have it, my 32 year long delima with breakfast. In high school I had a bowl of rice, every single morning. Served with butter and sometimes with soy sauce! Yummy!

     Today, I had a salad. A Greek salad at that! It was amazing! I found a great recipe in a 200 calorie or less cookbook a few days ago. I made it for lunch yesterday and even served it to my dad. He loved it as much as I did. I am not sure that he liked it enough to have it for breakfast but I did. It was a very flavorful start to my morning. This breakfast came in at 185 calories. Not too bad. I usually prefer to stay under 100 so that I can save them for the rest of the day but I learned today that under 200 keeps me feeling full for longer so I don't need as many during the rest of the day!

     For lunch I had 2 guacamole hard tacos, spainish rice and refried beans. This lunch clocked in at 362 calories. It was delicious! And I was so full! I LOVE feeling full!

     For dinner I had a Boco Flame Grilled Burger patty, a baked potato, squash and zucchini. This dinner cost me 334 calories. It was so tasty. What I loved most about this dinner was that my plate was full! Actually, my plate was full every single meal today! So, today, I ate 881 calories. Which is way below the 1200 I am suppossed to maintain but I'm satisfied for today. I may enjoy a bowl of cereal with soy milk for a small snack in a few moments but for now, I am at peace!

     As I sit on my couch at the end of this day, I am feeling good about this new chapter. I enjoy being challenged. It's sometimes exhausting and everyone needs a break but at the end of a challenge, I feel accomplished. I am challenged every year to write a better Christmas Play than the year before. I am challenged by my children to be a better a mom. I am challenged every summer to be a better Camp Director. Challenges are a way of life for me. I am constantly expecting myself to outdo myself. In every area but my health. This is the first time in my 32 years of existance, that I have challenged myself to change my health. This has been the longest lasting challenge of my life, other than parenting of course. At times it seems like the end is so far away but then I remember how glad I am that I'm in the middle of this journey and not still needing to begin it.

     For those of you who are challenging yourself to a better... whatever... keep up the fight. You may starve for a moment but the more you learn, the better you become!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)