Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"By Mom".......

 
Today was a history making day in the McMillan household. Our daughter, Campbell began Kindergarten.
Not just at any school either... O No! The school where I started my education. The school where I met my husband. The school where we both completed our high school education.
In fact, if you look at the picture below, in the back of the class room on the right side, there is a half moon table. It was at this table that I spent my elementary years. This very table.
 
 
It was in this same living room where I got dressed in my school uniform for the first day of school.
We were so excited to see our Mim this morning. What an amazing thing! Campbell's great grandmother came down to see her off this morning. How blessed!
 
 
 
It was on the rocks of this fireplace that I took my first school pictures on my first day of school.
 
 
I took school pictures in this same yard.
 

 
As I was getting my daughter dressed in her uniform, I was overcome with emotion. I put the navy and red colored bow in her hair and she turned around and looked at me and warm tears began to sting my eyes. I couldn't believe it this chapter that we are entering.
 
We climed into the car and made our way to school for the very first time.
 
 
Just before we reached the building, I prayed for my daughter. I thanked the Lord for CMA and the Christian education she was going to receive. I claimed the mind of Christ over her and I prayed for safety and protection. Of course, crying the whole time. After I had finished in Jesus Name, Campbell turned to me and said, "Mommy, you don't have to cry."
I tried to explain to her that I wasn't sad, I was overwhelemed with emotion... She understood as best as her 5 year old mind could.
 
Then, we pulled up beside one of Campbell's BFF Haley! They were born 20 days apart. Haley's parents went to CMA with Mike and I. They met there just like we did and started their dating relationship there just like us. Now, the 4 of us watched our daughter's walked side by side into the next chapter of their precious lives. It was quite a moment.
 

 
We saw Poppi who was waiting inside the door to see his grandkids on this amazing day.
 
 
Then we saw Nana!
 
 
Then we took a picture with Campbell's Kindergarten teacher... Mrs. Crystal! We love her!!!!
 
 
 
Once the greetings had been exchanged, we moved down to our seats at morning assembally
 
 
Once seated, Olivia and Eli joined in the festivities and it was finally a party.
 

 
Then came the time all of us weeping mothers had been dreading and looking forward to for the past 5 years. We stood beside each other, some mothers I knew and some I didn't know. But standing there just above the stairs, we all had one thing in common. Our lives were changing right before our eyes.
The babies we had taken care of every second for the past 5 years were walking off into their new lives. We were no longer going to be there to monitor who says what to them, to fix hurt feelings, to apply bandaids to scraped knees. We were loosening our grip and passing the torch onto someone else.
 
So, they lined up, backpacks in tow, I was videoing and taking pictures. My beautiful baby girl, all grown up in her uniform turned to me and waved. With a huge smile on her face she said the words I had been dreading to hear...
 
"By Mom"
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)