Saturday, August 25, 2012

Campfire Stories...

Ahhhh VACATION!!!
Isn't it a wonderful thing?
A few days ago, my husband, our 2 children, our dog and our camper pulled out of our driveway and headed down the open road! We haven't seen our children since May when summer camp started so this was a much needed break. It's amazing how much I enjoy these moments and memories with my family.
We were east bound and down headed to Pigeon Forge, Tn. I have been to Pigeon Forge before. When I was very young, my family took a vacation there. I remember bits and pieces of it but have been very excited about making new memories with my own children.
With Mike at the wheel, it left me a few moments to steal away some photos with our very adorable passengers!
 
 
 
 
We stopped just outside of Nashville the first night and continued on to Pigeon Forge the next morning. When we arrived, we wasted NO time getting to some fun!
Our first stop was the Lumberjack Feud Dinner show. It was amazing!
 
We had already eaten dinner so we decided to sit in the seats without the table. We had a great view and our kids were GLUED the entire time! It was very entertaining!
 
 
 
 
After the show, we went to an amazing Christmas village and then home... or back to our camper! After a great's nights sleep, we woke up, ate breakfast and hit the road... and in case you are wondering... while my husband and children feasted on Dunkin Donuts... I enjoyed brown rice with chickpeas and red beans with Italian season... trust me... it was very delicious!
 
On to Gatlinburg it was:
We had a huge list of things we wanted to see and do in Gatlinburg. Our first stop was the aquairium.
 
It was spectacular! I was not prepared for the emotion that would come with this particular trip!
 

After posing with my children for a few pics, we went on inside. The quarium had everything you would expect to see at such... Fish, sharks, turtles, sea horses, sting rays, a crazy woman who swims with the aquatic life previously mentioned...etc...
 
 
but it had one thing I didn't expect... MERMAIDS!!!
 
 
That's right! Mermaids! They put on a mermaid show! It was amazing! No, wait! Strike that... it was amazing to see my daughter's reaction to the mermaid show. I was sitting there watching her face as she looked at them swimming around and I could see the magic happening right before my eyes.
She was captivated. Like every movie she had ever seen came to life. If that's not enough, afte the show was over, we got to meet them and she got to touch one of their mermaid tails. I thanked the girls who were putting on the show and just wished they new what it was they had really done.
They had made a dream come true for my baby. They had brought to life a wish. It was a very powerful moment for me. I know it sounds dramatic but those of you who are moms know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
 
On our way out of the aquarium, we HAD to pass through the gift shop. A conspiracy pushed on the unsuspecting parents by the "junk for sale" people. So, of course, we had to pick out gifts! We were surrounded by fish, sharks, T Shirts, sting rays and all sorts of ocean creatures stuffed and ready to join us on our voyage home.
So, of course, Campbell chooses a Mermaid. Fitting for her experience. My son, however, chooses a light up sword. YEP. I sword. He was apparently unaffected by the mermaid episode!
 
With gifts in hand, we left the aquarium.
 
Just when I thought our day couldn't get any more magical... it did. We drove a few miles down the road and boarded a sky life that took us the top of the Smoky Mountains. It
 was more than beautiful.
 

The picture just doesn't do it justice! At the top of mountain, we unloaded and proceeded to fulfill yet another dream for my daughter.
 

YEP! We went ice skating. It was quite the adventure. It was way more difficult than I remember, of course, it has been more than several years since I have been skating and after today, I remember why! My feet were hurting, my ankles were hurting... it was stressful and I was sweating.. and all before I even stepped one blade on the ice!
 
 
In spite of my need for the immediate interferance of Icy Hot, we went! First time on the ice for my sweet baby (who thinks that she can already skate). It was very memorable I must say.
 
After a long day of memory making, we came down the moutain and began the journey back to Pigeon Forge.
We ate dinner at the Apple Barn Farmhouse, which was recommended by my Mim and she was right on the money with this one. It was fantastic!

 

 
They served us Apple Fritters! Which were AMAZING! Not healthy but come on! Give me just a little grace here!
 
 
After the fritters, I feasted on vegetable soup, salad and a veggie plate. (Happy Now?)  Very delicious! We were full and happy and it was time to head to the camper to rest from the day!
We changed clothes, covered ourselves in bug spray, hung citronella scented bug repelants all over the place and started a beautiful fire.
Our campsite is surrounded by trees and tucked away into the side of the mountain. It is beautiful, quiet and peaceful.
We roasted pink marshmellows over the fire then sat down in our our chairs for story time.
Each one of us told a story.
Campbell's story was about Mermaids... shocker... Carson's story was about a bug getting caught in the fire... again shocker... mine was about a family on a camper trip and Mike's was about a dad and his children.
While we sat there, around the campfire, with our children, I was over come, for the 100th time, with the feeling of gratitude. I am on vacation with my high school sweetheart, we have 2 healthy, happy, wonderful children, we live in a beautiful country and there is not much better that what we enojyed today. It was a day of memories to say the least and as I sat around the campfire listening to my children tell their stories, I prayed that the Lord seal these moments in my heart forever.
And what a beautiful moment it was....
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)