Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Moonlight and Moments

     Today I moved out the changing table and toddler beds out of my kids room and replaced them with big kid bunkbeds. Their eyes lit up when they saw their new room and big furniture. My daughter wanted to eat her dinner in her bed... After we tucked them into their new beds, gave kisses and said bedtime prayers, I closed the door to their room and looked outside the glass french doors and into the moon  soaked yard. I saw the light settling beautifully on 3 tiny pieces of furniture, a changing table and 2 toddler beds...there they were, sitting empty just waiting to be carried off...I have to say, it was quite a moment. I enjoy my kids more and more the older they get but as I looked upon the baby furniture sitting in the yard while my kids were sleeping soundly in their new beds, I was hit with the reality of my situation.

     There are so many things about mothering that no one bothers to tell you before you bear and give birth to a child... I say this very thing to my mom quite frequently, actually. For instance, no one told me how badly it would hurt to watch my kids get hurt or how my heart would be ripped out of my chest when I had to lay my daughter on ice packs to get her fever down while she cried out about how cold she was or how with every changing season, there is a little mourning period or...how after every mourning period, there is gladness...

     So as I mourn the loss of a significant part of my babies childhood that I won't ever get back again, I look forward to tomorrow...Why? You may ask...well, it's a birthday in this home. My daughter turns 5! Even though saying goodbye to her toddler years is tough, I look, with great anticipation, to the memories I have yet to make.

     So, goodnight beautiful moon. Who knows what you will be lighting up tomorrow night...

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts! You are so good...and so wise! You're a wonderful Mom!
    Happy Birthday to Campbell! I have her name on my calendar every year!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)