Monday, October 25, 2010

Rock Away...

I was folding clothes a couple of days ago, when I started thinking to myself, "If I wasn't folding these clothes, do you know how much I could be getting done?" I was saying this, to myself, while looking at the pile of dishes in the sink. Then, a few hours later, I started washing the dishes and found myself thinking, "If I wasn't doing these dishes, do you know how much I could be getting done?" This was being said while I was looking at the toys my kids left out on the living room floor. Then, a few hours later, I started picking up the toys in the living room and putting them away in their respective places and the thought came again, "If I was picking up these toys, do you have any idea how much I could be getting done?" This was said when I passed through the laundry room and saw my car oustide. I started thinking of how dirty the inside of it was.

The light bulb moment happened for me when I was rocking my son to sleep. I had "The Thought". "If I wasn't doing this, do you know how much I could be getting done..." Whoa! What was I saying? There is NOTIHNG I would rather do than rock my son to sleep. He won't be of the rocking age much longer and those are precious times for me. Looking back over my day, I noticed that I hadn't enjoyed one single task that I had accomplished. I had gotten alot done. I had done the dishes, folded and put away the laundry, picked up toys, cleaned the bathrooms, vacuumed the floors and made the beds but I had been so focused on the next thing that had to get done that I didn't find enjoyment in what I was doing at that moment.
I do work a little outside the home but for the most part, I am a full time, stay at home mom. My whole life revolves around dishes, laundry and cleaning. If I am unable to find enjoyment in those tasks that fill my days, then it stands to reason that I will have lived my life, not enjoying each day.

So, as I sat in the rocking chair rocking my son, I leaned down and kissed his forhead, wrapped him snuggly in his blanket, took a deep seat in the chair and began to rock away. This time, with a smile on my face as I looked down at his, praying with ever rock, that the Lord would seal this memory in my heart forever.
What a blessed one it was!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Lynlee. Your writing and reflections are so good! I really am impressed, and of course love your message. Please keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Lyn, needed that encouragement this morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I needed this reminder this past week and it came at the perfect timing. Helping your child through potty training can really wear down on your patience. I kept this in mind while working with him and the last two days have been a breeze since I made a conscience effort to enjoy working with him! We were both less frustrated and it made for some fun days. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)