Thursday, April 15, 2010

Parenting! How does one do it?

A young girl in our church is pregnant with her first baby and she asked me the other night what book I recommend. I told her to read a favorite novel. Because after she has this baby, she won't have time to do that and there is no book that is helpful in parenting your child. Questions like: Why is he crying? When should he eat next? How much do I give him? Why won't he sleep in his bed? Are my children developing at the right rate? How soon should they be able to say their ABC's? All of these are questions that no book can answer. Do you know what makes it even harder? There is no way to know if the decision you made is the right one until after it's over. There is no way to know if you've over fed him until you finish and he throws up all over you. There is no way to know if your decision to discipline was the right one until she is 16 and is either a joy of a teenager or a horrid mess. I can honestly say that being a parent is not for the faint of heart or weak minded. The only comfort one can find in all of this mess is knowing that the Holy Spirit knows when we don't. He sees when we are eyes are shut. He hears when our ears miss it. After all is said and done. We parents do the best we can. Children are still a miraclous gift from the Lord. Praise God for the Holy Spirit!
I must not write any more tonight. I have hair to brush, bed time stories to read, diapers to change and bottles to give.... what a blessed woman I am indeed!

2 comments:

  1. yippee! so fun to see you and yay for blogs. BEAUTIFUL kiddos! can't to see more pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynlee! I am so excited that you have a blog! Noel has one as well - http://passiontealemonade.blogspot.com. Also, I need to update you on my life at some point soon... I went on my first date :)

    I hope to see more pictures of your kids, too!

    ReplyDelete

My Blogs (You Should Read Them)